Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Talking to Taxation


On Monday, May 9th, the Taxation Committee voted “Ought to Pass” for LD 1157, “An Act to Protect Property Tax Revenue in the Unorganized Territories”.

I wrote to the esteemed members of the Committee and thanked them for their vote, and for supporting those of us who live in UT's.

And then, "today" happened. Actually, it was yesterday. I arrived in Augusta on Thursday, prepared to attend the work session for LD 1366, "An Act to Amend the Maine Wind Energy Act..." in the Energy, Utilities and Technology Committee room, and was told by Rep. Larry Dunphy that the Taxation Committee was reopening the work session for LD 1157 that very moment after being told by a member (or members) of the EUT Committee that (save Dunphy) they didn't support Taxation's stance. Since there were other concerned citizens at the EUT work session who had driven to Augusta to observe, I ran to the State House for the 're-do' work session on LD 1157. Upon arriving, the Taxation clerk, a very personable young woman, told me 1157's work session had been postponed. They would be reopening the record this morning at ten a.m.

So... back to the Cross Building... only to find that, due to a scheduled three p.m. session in the State House, the EUT's work session on LD 1366 was ALSO postponed... this time, until Tuesday, the 17th.

Today, I drove back to the Capital to attend Taxation's 're-do' work session. I witnessed Rep. Stacey Fitts lobbying the members in the hall outside the Committee room for an hour before LD 1157's work session began. I suppose that is how this works... that our Legislators make every attempt to promote their pet projects to Committee members whose votes might affect those projects. Still, it seemed unethical. The Taxation Committee had ALREADY voted... and here was a ranking member of the Legislature trying to convince them to change their votes.

To a small degree, that tactic worked. Two members who'd voted "Ought to Pass" on Monday, changed their votes. But six members chose to stand by their earlier votes, and stand by their constituents, and held fast. The Taxation Committee voted OTP, by a vote of six to three.

I've done really well in containing my emotions on this roller-coaster ride. After all, I'm a strong country woman who has faced some of the worst that life has to offer, without backing down. But, as tough as I am, I admit to tearing up when I witnessed those two Representatives giving their reasons for changing their minds. I couldn't help but wonder what argument the "Wind" supporters used to sway them. One representative claimed that he didn't think it was fair to target one industry (wind), and yet... LD2283, which became the Wind Energy Act (a.k.a. the Expedited Wind Permitting Law) gave FAVORITISM to that one industry. In my humble opinion, the corporate wind lobby can't have it both ways. End of story.

What changed my tears to a smile were the words of Rep. Knight, who said that he'd received "dozens and dozens" of emails and phone calls over the last few weeks from citizens who wanted him to support LD 1157; but he'd only heard from the wind lobbyists in the last two days... since Representatives Fitts and du Houx called for them to reconsider their "OTP" votes.

Rep. Knight, along with five other conscientious men, showed us that our voices ARE being heard, and our desires DO matter. Thank goodness.

Thank the members of the Taxation Committee!

And thank YOU, the Maine Citizens who are working so hard to 'have a say' in this important issue!

Below are the email addresses of the members of the Taxation Committee; should you wish to thank them for their vote, today.

dptrahan@roadrunner.com
dhastings@hastings-law.com
Dick.Woodbury@legislature.maine.gov
LGary.Knight@usa.net
RepPaul.Waterhouse@legislature.maine.gov
bick0585@aol.com
bennettco2000@hotmail.com
dburnsy12@gmail.com
ryan.harmon82@yahoo.com
seth@sethberry.org
RepMarkBryant@yahoo.com
elsie.flemings@gmail.com
dpilon@maine.rr.com

Disillusionment and hope.

Tears and a smile.

Yep, this is a roller-coaster ride. But I have faith that there are members of our Legislature who are truly committed to doing the right thing, no matter what pressure is exerted from a corporate lobby. All in all, there are worse ways for a country gal to spend her day off. Thank you, esteemed members of the Taxation Committee!!

***********************
An aside... a friend informed me this afternoon that a post from Tuesday night had disappeared from this blog. It was a 'thank you' to the Taxation Committee, combined with the text of the testimony I gave before the Members on April 26th. I didn't believe him... thought he hadn't looked in the right 'spot'. But upon arriving home, I checked the archives of VOW... and that posting is gone.

Very strange. I can't imagine what happened to it. I'll re-post my testimony as soon as I'm caught up on my tasks and obligations. And we'll see what happens, this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment